Tuesday, February 20, 2007
1. Taskbar thumbnails: See thumbnails of minimized application windows
2. Windows Flip: Visually nice Alt-Tab feature
3. Windows Flip 3D: See all open Windows in a 3D stack.
4. Nice sliding,gliding windows
Sunday, February 11, 2007
1. Free-form Snip: For any type of irresular shapes like circles, ellipses...basically anything.
2. Rectangular Snip: For rectangle shapes.
3. Window Snip: All contents of a selected window.
4. Full-screen Snip: Entire screen will be captured.
Addition of this software into Vista is going to hurt the business of vendors who provide similar utilities. Well..it happens with every new release of Windows. People are going to debate if MS stuff is better than of those thirtd-party products, but for me, inbuilt apps do the normal jobs just fine.
Thursday, February 8, 2007
To the author: Sanskrit is not yet "dead". May not be thriving but its pretty much alive in India atleast.
Important point to note here is that though an OS may not need lots of hardware resources to run, but the new applications for the OS may demand much more processor speed and memory. A good test would be to run Office applications to see how you machine performs. If you see apparent degradation from how the apps worked on XP, the new machine is simply not capable enough.
Running some benchmark tools may also help in deciding about new machine requirements. I used "Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor 1.0" from Microsoft site http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=42B5AC83-C24F-4863-A389-3FFC194924F8&displaylang=en
It reported that my machine has:
- good processor (P4 2.8GHz)
- enough 1GB RAM
It reported that I should:
- Increase hard disk space (minimum 15GB free) to install
- Add a graphics card for better GUI experience (Windows Aero™ user experience)
- Add a DVD drive.
Only time will tell how Vista will be perceived by users. According to Microsoft, hundreds of new features have been added, with special focus to security aspects of the operating system.
Microsoft also released Office 2007 suite on the same day.